Many thanks to Family Yields for the award!
If you’re unfamiliar with the Liebster award concept, it’s pretty simple. You get nominated, you answer some questions, list some factoids about yourself, and then nominate other bloggers. Pretty neat, huh?
So here go the questions:
1. Why did you start blogging?
This is actually my 3rd WordPress blog, and I’ve had a few more on Tumblr before using the WP platform too. But as for Zero Waste Millennial in particular, I started because I felt that more people in my demographic–young and financially insecure–needed more voices in the zero-waste movement. Since then, of course, I’ve started experimenting with putting more radical writings in with far more politically benign pieces to see if maybe more people can be reached that would otherwise not expose themselves to these sentiments. Is it working? I dunno, maybe. :P
2. What is your favourite blog to read?
I don’t think I have one single favorite blog, tbh. I have a few pagan reads, a few queer and gender-related reads, and the rest are about environmentalism though I’d say I enjoy many of them equally.
3. What is your favourite book?
Gosh, I really can’t answer this one either. It’s a tie between The Silmarillion, Cosmos, Popol Vuh, and maybe Ecology and Socialism. I gotta read more, lol.
4. How did you select the name of your blog?
It was a pretty obvious choice, haha. And it’s catchy, to boot!
5. What single quality do you admire most in people?
Motivation to act on your convictions. Everyone has opinions, everyone has prescriptions, everyone has theories, everyone has ideas on who should do what, but very few people actually get out there and make shit happen. I can’t help but respect and admire the people who don’t settle for the armchair, even when their beliefs don’t exactly line up with mine.
6. What movie have you watched the most times?
Probably Sleeping Beauty. I used to watch it every week as a little kid because I was just so in love with the secondary characters. Oh, and the art direction is phenomenal.
7. What is your favourite quote?
“What is an anarchist? One who, choosing, accepts the responsibility of choice.” –Ursula K. Le Guin
“I’m an artist, I don’t need stuff!” –one of my college professors
8. Who is your favourite musician/band?
For continuity and posterity’s sake, I might say Opeth. Either Opeth or Solar Fields. Again, I can’t pick just one thing.
9. What do you admire most about yourself?
I would say something like “my optimism” or “my outlook on life”, but I think I may actually be most into my ability to very quickly recognize patterns in my environment, or in people’s behavior, or what have you. I’m perceptive, sometimes to a fault… but admittedly this makes me a fantastic navigator, organizer, cook, and a number of other roles that necessitate quick learning of generalities and trends. My dad seems to think I’d be a good stock-trader, but he forgets my hatred of capitalism and I’m terrible with numbers anyways.
10. What’s your favourite way to procrastinate?
Researching random stuff or future blog posts. And… Neopets too sometimes. I can’t help it!
11. What post that you’ve written is your favourite? (please include a link!)
It would, without a doubt, have to be my DIY Masterlist. It’s something that I have yet to give a formal introduction to on here (it’s continuously slipped my mind somehow), but it’s a page that’s continuously being added to, so I suppose that I’ll have the opportunity to introduce it for a long while yet. ;)
The next part of the award post is that I list 11 random facts about myself!
- I have 3 nose piercings, stretched ears, and several hours’-worth of tattoos.
- I’d like a microdermal piercing near my eye someday. Like this!
- My hair looks like 1990’s Link’s from Legend of Zelda, except not blonde.
- I am asexual.
- I got frostbitten one night while I was living in Brooklyn because I couldn’t afford to turn the heater on. (And our landlord wasn’t particularly interested in obeying minimum temperature laws.)
- My two favorite incenses are copal and sandalwood.
- Really huge man-made things freak me out, like dams and skyscrapers. (Existentially maybe?)
- I want to see the upcoming Spongebob movie.
- I organize my bookmarks by icon color. :V
- I worship a rain god.
- I’m the creator behind Aquapunk, and while incredibly meager, it’s my only source of income right now (aside from unemployment, which will probably end in another check or two). If you like my work, please consider subscribing to my Patreon feed!
Part the Third: I nominate…
- Tossing Consumerism
- Away From The Noise
- The Tiny Hearth
- Honey That’s OK
- Fort Negrita
- Forgotten Skills
- Who were you named after?
- Where is your favorite place?
- What’s your favorite breakfast in the world?
- If you could learn any language in an instant, which would it be?
- Would you rather go on a cruise to Antarctica, or on a camel-ride through the Sahara?
- What’s one homework assignment that had an impact on you?
- What does your favorite color remind you of?
- What’s one thing that you’d give your ACTUAL arm and leg for?
- Who’s your favorite poet?
- Do you have a really obscure interest?
- How do you like your eggs?
I don’t really follow that many personal blogs that fit the theme of Zero Waste Millennial, a number of them are news blogs, aggregates, etc. And the rest of the ones I follow are gender or sexuality blogs. Ah well. Maybe I’ll make it a goal to follow more personal blogs this year. :]
Anyways, cheers and thanks for the Liebster!